Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Day in the Kitchen

Yesterday I spent the majority of my afternoon in the kitchen. I am learning to bake bread, and have tried a few recipes to get me ready for my grammy's! Yesterday I used Martha Stewart's recipe, which is close to my Grammy's, except she uses butter and no egg. The neat thing about her recipe is that you can use it as a base for four types of bread.

Isn't she pretty? Definitely a bonus when making bread!


The bread turned out alright, although next time I am going to try the instant yeast (grammy's trick)!

We had a leftover chicken that Chris roasted earlier in the week, so I decided homemade chicken noodle soup was the perfect companion to my fresh bread. I used Michael Smith's recipe for the broth and the soup! I adapted it a bit by adding a chicken bouillon cube for some extra flavour! I've just ordered his Chef at Home cookbook online, so very much looking forward to trying out more of his recipes.

These are the veggies and herbs to make the broth- good trick for colour; leave the onion skins on!

I also started working on my Christmas decorations yesterday (everything but the tree), but will post more on that later. As a sneak peak- you can see that the kittens also enjoyed discovering the Christmas decorations for the first time!


Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...