Monday, September 16, 2013

How to Ruin a Perfectly Good Batch of Chili


It's almost fall, the days are getting cooler and my chili-loving husband came home from a week-long business trip. These are the reasons why chili was on my list of weekend meals. I have a great recipe; I use this one as a base and then add a few of my own ingredients: pinch of cayenne, sprinkle of chili flakes and 2 Tbsp brown sugar. 

Did you catch that last ingredient? Well turns out my tablespoon was dirty with chili power, and I didn't want to dirty another spoon...so I did what every non-perfectionist would...I started to shake my brown sugar bowl to eyeball 2 tablespoons. Well, gravity was not on my side and the entire bowl of brown sugar ended up in the chili. I tried as best as possible to scoop out my mistake, but the result was still very sweet. I added about 1/4 cup red wine vinegar to offset the sweetness and the result was still sweet but certainly edible (especially if you like things a little sweet like I do)! The morale of the story is, you can always dirty another spoon and always keep your pantry stocked with vinegar!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...