Friday, September 27, 2013

Goodbye Fruit Flies; Hello Pies


Last Saturday was a very wet, rainy dreary day, so the mister and I decided to stay in. While he occupied himself with a video game (do they ever grow out of these???); I played chef and baker. I had a ton of stuff from my farm basket that I wanted to use up. I ended up making fresh tomato sauce, potato and leek soup, these yummy pear streusel bars and a peach pie.


I had some much peaches and pears, that the cats were starting to double as fruit fly swatters. I knew I didn't want the fruit to go to waste, so I looked for a couple of recipes for yummy baked goods that I might be able to freeze (hoping to bring them to Thanksgiving dinner).

This pear streusel bar recipe is excellent. Very easy to make, and tastes delicious. The sugar glaze is definitely optional. One of the reviews I read suggested substituting the cinnamon chips with chocolate chips...not sure that would be my first choice. Caramel or butterscotch would be my go-to if I couldn't get the cinnamon chips.



Then I made this peach pie. I loved the recipe because it was so easy, no peeling the peaches, no top crust, the fruit is mixed with sugar only. I haven't tasted it because it got froze for a special occasion, but after reading the reviews, I'm pretty sure it's going to be delicious!

PS- I am loving the Brown Eyed Baker Blog (say that 5 times fast), she has tons of recipes, they are easy to follow and she likes to keep things simple (a woman after my own heart).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...